Searching for prompt and reliable solutions in respiratory support in this time of increasing numbers of COVID-19 being recognized as a large and growing global challenge for healthcare and medical equipment manufacturers.
For the respiratory support of patients with coronavirus, UTAS Company has implemented several innovative solutions in UVENT-S lung ventilators. For example, it features interface compatibility with external devices like an additional 22-inch display, patient monitor, video laryngoscopes, and Point of Care Ultrasound probes.
Additionally, UVENT-S has a wide range of NIV interfaces: masks, cannulas, and a special mode for ventilation with a helmet.
And last but not least, UVENT-S provides high-quality respiratory support based on a lung protection strategy and assures better patient-ventilator synchrony.
Oxygen delivery right on time
High Flow Oxygen Therapy (HFOT) with high-quality humidification and Nasal Cannula.
The primary strategy for COVID-19 patients is supportive care, including oxygen therapy for hypoxaemic patients, in which high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) has been reported to be effective in improving oxygenation. Among patients with acute hypoxaemic respiratory failure, HFNC was proven to avoid intubation compared to conventional oxygen devices. [ 1, 2 ]
- High-quality humidification of the air-oxygen gas is implemented in the UVENT-S Ventilators.
- Oxygen concentration adjustment with SpO2 monitoring for minimal effective oxygen concentration during inspiration control and maintenance.
- Wide range of flow rate setting (up to 80 lpm) for the necessary settings to increase FRC and effectively compensate early signs of respiratory failure.
Protective ventilation with adaptation to the dynamic patient’s needs
New adaptive ventilation modes in UVENT-S guarantee the protection of affected lungs during long-term ventilation.
Visualization of AdVent mode
In UVENT-S ICU Ventilators we implemented two intelligent adaptive modes:
- AdVent — Adaptive Ventilation mode with guaranteed minimum minute ventilation.
- ProVent — The Newest Adaptive Ventilation mode with volume-based intelligent support.
The foundation of intelligent ventilation
is the breathing support with ICU ventilator’s
automatic adaptation to the dynamically changing
mechanics of the patient’s breathing during treatment.
The protective ventilation based on the breathing support with ICU ventilator’s automatic adaptation to the dynamic changing mechanics of the patient’s breathing during treatment.
AdVent mode maintains operator-preset minute ventilation regardless of the patient‘s activity and automatically changeover to support ventilation taking into account spontaneous respiratory effort of the patient.
ProVent maintains operator-preset minute ventilation with the protective ventilation with automatic respiration rate detection and breathing mechanics continuous analysis. Each mandatory inspiration is adaptive: in case of spontaneous respiratory effort, the patient receives additional flow support.
Adaptive ventilation modes provide quality respiratory support for COVID-19 patients with optimal caregivers’ participation. By using intelligent ventilation modes clinicians can reduces number of numerous readjustments of ventilation settings, which commonly required during respiratory support as patient status continuously changes during therapy.
Increased patient comfort and safety with helmet ventilation
Non-invasive ventilation with a helmet in UVENT-S Ventilators is implemented as a separate mode with an adjustable base flow to replace CO2.
Non-invasive ventilation with helmet in CPAP/PS mode
- Special mode with adjustable base flow and maximal synchronization with the patient’s respiratory effort.
- The helmet does not have any pressure points on the face , thereby reducing patient discomfort and improving device tolerance without the risk of skin necrosis. [ 3 ]
- The helmet allows a patient to interact with clinicians during treatment , to drink or even eat through special port, to see and to talk.
UVENT-S lung ventilators have the optimal patient’s breathing support system via the helmet.
With the helmet is used CPAP/PS ventilation mode — with the permanent base pressure level, which is defined by PEEP. With activated pressure support, each spontaneous breath effort is supported by pressure.
Continuous Respiratory Mechanics and Gas Exchange monitoring
Integrated into UVENT-S SpO2 and CO2 Monitoring.
- Built-in SpO2 and CO2 channels and a wide range of vital functions monitoring.
- Continuous monitoring of saturation , that is critically important in the case of COVID-19 patients.
- CO2 level in mainstream and sidestream measurement, , as well as volumetric capnometry visualization possibility.
Integrated SpO2 and CO2 monitoring in UVENT-S lung ventilators allows clinicians to evaluate the respiratory support relevance and efficiency continuously. It is critically important during the fast progression of the disease and dynamic changes of a patient with COVID-19 status.
Monitoring data can be displayed on the additional display with UniScreen™ technology. It allows you to optimally configure the information on each of the screens, if it is necessary.
Rapid diagnostics of the lungs status right at the patient’s bed with an portative ultrasound sensor
The lungs status monitoring with an point-of-care ultrasound sensor* (POCUS) makes possible the fast receiving information without transporting to the diagnostic room.
Visualization of ultrasound on the additional HD display by UniScreen™ technology
- A simple, fast, and effective way for diagnosing the lungs’ status: maximum information without using fluoroscopy.
- Quickly choose a strategy and individual tactic of respiratory therapy , for patients with acute respiratory failure (patient selection).
- Reducing radiation doses to patients. This factor is especially important in the COVID-19 treatment.
- UVENT-S is compatible with POCUS and can directly visualizes lungs complications on HD-display during the ventilation.
POCUS makes possible immediate diagnostic procedure by Extended Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma (eFAST) and lung status monitoring with ultrasound. With BLUE-protocol and FALLS-protocol diagnose the majority of the complications in critical conditions are easy quickly and accurately.
Moreover, this solution can be applied to patients repeatedly. By its efficiency is equal to computed tomography and even outreaches ‘classical’ radiography.
Innovative Intubation Support Tool
Intubation support using portative video laryngoscope* and built-in supporting maneuver.
Portative video laryngoscope visualization additional HD-screen by UniScreen™ technology
- Visual control on HD-screen of the tube positioning with video laryngoscope.
- Built-in maneuver “Intubation support tool” with preoxygenation mode and adaptive respiratory support.
The compatibility with video laryngoscope allows clinicians to get visual control on HD screen of the real-time tube positioning. That makes intubation procedure easier, increasing patient’s safety.
Built-in maneuver “Intubation support tool” includes preoxygenation and oxygenation during intubation process with continuous SpO2 and CO2 monitoring via built-in pulse oximeter and capnograph.
Remote patient monitoring during respiratory support
ICU Ventilators’ parameters control and remote monitoring of a patient’s vital data via UniViewer solution and UNET-S Central Station*.
Data vizualization on tablet and smatphone
- No need s to be constantly at the patient’s bedside.
- Possible to reduce virus load and the risk of the caregivers infection.
- Increases the possibility to monitor patient’s status by qualified medical personnel, especially in conditions of high workload in the ICU.
- The possibility of remote consultation with colleagues around the world.
Remote monitoring of the patients with COVID-19 with UniViewer during respiratory support is the access to real-time patients’ vital data from any location via the internet. Remote patient monitoring solution displays important measuring parameters such as waveforms, alarms, and numeric data on any clinical staff mobile device.
UniViewer displays important measuring parameters
such as waveforms, alarms, and numeric data
on any clinical personnel mobile device.
UVENT-S respiratory station continuously transmits information to the UNET-S Central Station, which allows clinicians to monitor patients’ status remotely. The Central Station can be located outside the patient care infected areas, as well as preceding rooms. Via UNET-S Central Station and UniViewer solution clinicians can monitor the patients’ status without increasing the contact time even in the case of limited human resources.
Effective technological solutions implemented in UVENT-S support clinicians in the face of the rising patient load in hospitals working with coronavirus. At the same time, our solutions ensure the patients’ safety, improve the care quality, and reduce potential risks, especially taking into account acute complications of COVID-19.
*Not every feature may be available in your market. For more information, please, contact sales department or authorized representative in your region.
1. Rochwerg B, Granton D, Wang DX, et al. High flow nasal cannula compared with conventional oxygen therapy for acute hypoxemic respiratory failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med 2019; 45: 563–572. doi:10.1007/s00134–019–05590–5.
2. Li J, Jing G, Scott JB. Year in review 2019: high-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy for adult patients. Respir Care 2020; 65: 545–557. doi:10.4187/respcare.07663 Abstract/FREE Full Text
3. Patel BK, Wolfe KS, Pohlman AS. Effect of noninvasive ventilation delivered by helmet vs face mask on the rate of endotracheal intubation in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2016;315:2435–2441. [PMC free article]